Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Stupa'd and Durbar'd

Acting on advice given by one of the hotel staff, I headed back to Durbar Square to see the Indra Jatra Festival today (NOTE: In an earlier post at the start of my Nepal trip I posted about going to the Indra Jatra Festival. This was incorrect, that festival was Teej, the Women's Festival. Indra Jatra started today). It really was a waste of money. I'm not sure if I showed up too late or too early, but it wasn't anything exciting and I found myself bored out of my skull at all the Temples I've already seen, hence the lack of pictures taken. I can also now say I've been to a third world gym! I went to one near my guest house today to exercise the shoulder a little. Pretty basic I must say, and it was pretty hilarious lifting and seeing people lift weights without shoes on.

The ball is rolling for my trek, which I will be departing for on Saturday. I had to hang around Kathmandu for most of this week waiting for my Indian Visa to push through, due to Indian beauracracy. I picked up some layers for the cold weather today, and found a decent travel agent to handle my flight and paperwork.



Yesterday I headed to Swayambhunath, aka the Monkey Temple, due to the sheer amount of monkeys that call it home. It is definitely a must-see of Kathmandu, with it's incredible views of the city, the giant Stupa, all the cool temples, and of course, the monkeys.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kyle,
    Well good luck to you on your journey to Everest - how exciting is that!! Sounds like you've made some real progress in your plans.
    P.S. Watch those monkeys, they'll steal your camera...lol

    Matt's concerned about the wild animals you may encounter on your trek so now he's wondering what kind of predators there are in Nepal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures, good luck on your trek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your trek, stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha tell Matt the only Predators here are the street hawkers trying to sell me stuff.

    ReplyDelete