Sunday, September 19, 2010

Back to Kathmandu, Part I

Nearly thirteen hours spent on a non-air conditioned bus in the humid, tropical heat today. I finally arrived in Kathmandu at 7:45 pm tired, hungry and probably not smelling the freshest. They had finally cleared a landslide off the highway this morning, which allowed the buses to run, only to have another one hit when we were en-route. We had to wait for over three hours for them to finally clear the road and allow traffic to move.

My five days in Pokhara could have been better, between being sick and all the rain, but it was a beautiful place and I can imagine a visit there in the dry season would be ten times better. I'm sure the owners of Hotel Crown will be happy that at night they can finally listen to the peaceful sound of the insects chirping without being punctuated by my violently loud bowel movements.

Now I'm back in the hustle and bustle of Kathmandu. Things are noticeably busier now, the streets are crazy and the restaurants are full. What a difference one week closer to the dry season makes. I'm hoping to have my Indian Visa process underway tomorrow so I can start trekking right away and get it when I get back. If everything goes without a hitch tomorrow and I get lucky enough to score a last minute flight, I could be trekking by Tuesday. Right now Wednesday looks more realistic though.

1 comment:

  1. too bad about the long bus ride, just happy you made it safe and sound. Great pictures, looks like all the buildings in Kathmandu are no higher than about 3 or 4 stories high. It is nice to see you got a picture of the monks during one of their ceremony's and monkey's doing what they do best, sit around. haha How about some pics of the people that work at the places that you stay at. Take care

    ReplyDelete