Saturday, September 11, 2010

Indra Jatra, baby!

A great day in Nepal! I was lucky enough to see the Indra Jatra Festival at Durbar Square today. The festival itself is focused on women, and thousands of them dress up in colorful clothing to pay respect to the living goddess, Kumari. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the procession she comes in on, but just being there among the crowds was cool enough. I was lucky enough to find a high temple step to people watch from, and I ended up having a pretty cool conversation with a Nepalese trekking guide. Coincidently enough I had stumbled upon some old hiking pictures from the Rocky Mountains that I showed him. It felt pretty good to talk to someone foreign without them trying to push some tour or trinket on me.



It was also pretty funny moving through the jam packed crowds, at 5'11" I'm a good head taller than everyone else, save for the occasional tourist, so I had the birds eye view of everything. It's quite the change of pace for me to be one of the tallest and heaviest people around.

As for food, banana pancakes could become my new favorite breakfast. Eating those while sitting on the rooftop garden terrace was definitely a great start to the day.

3 comments:

  1. I'm envious Bud, glad your having a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum banana pancakes sounds great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool pictures thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete