Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pokhara!

Well after some issues with finding a good wifi connection I was finally able to post. I'm sure outside the major cities are times when my posting will be infrequent, but I will do my best. I think uploading pictures is going to be near impossible until I get back to Kathmandu.

Caught the 0700 bus to Pokhara in the morning, quite the experience taking a public bus cross country in Nepal. It really shows a person a lot of the problems with the infrastructure here, partly due to the civil war that ended a few years ago, weak government and poverty. The road we took is the major one between Kathmandu and Pokhara, a city of lower elevation near the Annapurna Mountain and gateway to the Annapurna circuit trek. What they consider their highway would be a semi-paved forestry road in Canada, complete with tons of buses, trucks, broke-down trucks, people and motorcycles. Life here in Pokhara seems way more laid back than in Kathmandu, and thankfully there's less pollution and noise here.



This morning I woke up feeling pretty ill, I'm pretty sure the cause is a bottle of water I drank that had the seal tampered with. It was a brand I hadn't tried before and the seal wouldn't break in two places opposite from each other. I figured it might be just the brand but I bought another one today that unscrewed fine. Thankfully by afternoon, and after a good nap, I felt much better. I'm hoping this means I'm somewhat resistant to the bacteria here. On the good note, I found an awesome little blues bar last night, I'm definitely going to check that out tonight.

5 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you made it safely to Pokhara. The senery must be beautiful there with the mountains surrounding the city. Now don't be falling down Davis Falls or they'll have to rename it Kyle Falls..lol Are you taking in any treks while you are there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No trekking for me here, I wouldn't have enough time, all of them are over 3 days long. The scenery is nice but the monsoon clouds are still hanging around so the mountains aren't visible. So much for going to that Blues Bar, I can't withdraw any money from my account and I don't have enough for a beer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that sucks - NO beer money, how's a guy supposed to survive...lol

    I hope you have a ticket back to Katmandu :)

    Kyle your postings and pictures are brilliant - thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with all of us - I'm lovin it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to the bank, they don't know what's going on, nothing on their end and will be sending you an e-mail. I'll send you an e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just talked to Baba and I promise her I would tell you she said to say Hi and to have a good time

    ReplyDelete