Saturday, September 18, 2010

To the Bat Cave!

Excellent day today. I recovered from my sickness, my bowels finally worked properly, the weather cleared up, had a conversation with a North American, and went caving for my first time.

I hadn't talked to anyone from North America in almost two weeks, and it was a great relief to finally have a fluid conversation with someone where I wasn't breaking through language or accent barriers. When I arrive in Kathmandu tomorrow I'll have to start my quest to find a decent trekking partner for my journey to Everest Base Camp. I'm thinking it'll be a great asset to have someone around to watch each others backs and belongings.


I took a taxi up to the Bat Cave today to test out my claustrophobia. Good news, I don't have any. I hooked up with a few other Nepali people, crawling around the wet muddy rock and squeezing through spaces I didn't think I'd fit. I saw one damn bat the whole time, and didn't even manage to get a picture of it. It was fun as hell though, I'd definitely recommend it. An expensive cab ride (almost $10 there and back), but at 20 Rupees (about 30 cents), it was worth it.

Tonight I'll hit up the Old Blues Bar for a beer and pack my bag for the bus ride to Kathmandu tomorrow. That's if the mudslide that hit the highway is cleared by then. Cross your fingers for me.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Batman, good to hear you ended up having a get adventure in the caves :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kyle, I am glad to hear you are feeling better. Erin and I will keep our fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better and finally able to go for that beer at the blues club, I was a bit concerned...lol

    If you liked that cave, you'll have to try Horn Lake Caves on Vanc. Island someday, the entrance to the bat cave looks very similar. I have to say I did not enjoy it much at all, especially when Matt stated "oh, oh Dead End" while we were trying to find our way outta there.

    Good luck in finding a travel companion, they are priceless away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bro, glad to read that You are feeling better!
    the beard is coming along nicely i see! bd

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jesus Kyle!

    I don't know how you did that. Caves, ungroundness, and tight spaces freak me out. All I can think about is the movie "The Decent" and those creepy ass monster things that live there.

    P.S.
    There were no bats, because said monsters ate them.

    ReplyDelete