Saturday, November 27, 2010

First Scooter Ride

My first taste of operating a motor vehicle on the hellish wasteland that is the Indian road system. I rented a scooter from my hotel for about $5 and headed off into the Goan countryside. The original plan had been to go to Panaji for the film festival that was happening there, but it being my first time on a vehicle with less than 3 wheels, I decided it would be hazardous to my health to try and tackle an Indian city of 100,000 people. The countryside is no problem at all, it's a nice cruise, but anywhere with an abundance of traffic is incredibly nerve racking. Instead I just cruised around the countryside, stopping at Anjuna beach and a mediocre fort. Visiting Anjuna made me glad I didn't decide to go there, which was my original plan before heading to Goa. The beach is mediocre at best and there is not a hint of any type of nightlife. So far Arambol is looking like the best choice I could have made.

So I'm going to continue my beach bum crusade for the next few days, and after I ship some stuff home hopefully my lighter backpack will motivate me to get off my ass and start heading north to catch a flight to Thailand. The good news is I found out flights out of Delhi are just as expensive as in Kolkata, so that cuts my train ride in half. The bad news is the price is double what it would have been in January. I guess I'll have to fork out some extra cash for a Christmas in Thailand, but I'm confident it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment