Monday, November 15, 2010

Exit: Udaipur

So my time in this excellent city is drawing to an end. Tomorrow I catch an overnight, 16 hour bus ride to Mumbai to get a taste of upscale India and possibly Bollywood. This bus ride I didn't cheap out, instead opting for a more comfortable air-conditioned bus.

The past two days have been really laid back and relaxing, exactly what I needed. I've been filling my time hanging out on rooftop restaurants, catching an evening screening of Hitch at a local restaurant and basically being a bum. Last night I went to see some live Indian music at a hotel across the street from mine. The Soufi genre is definitely in the extreme easy-listening circle, and wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but it was still a good night out. Out of the blue a guy I was sitting beside asked me if I was from Calgary. A close guess based on my accent, I didn't realize I had such a noticeable one.

Today so far has been filled with organizing a hotel in Mumbai and a bus ticket from there to Goa. Prices seem to be pretty steep for this leg, I'm paying almost three times what I was in the North. I also had my first shave at a barber, straight razor and everything. With that and a new haircut, I feel like a million bucks.

Next stop: Mumbai. One step away from the beaches of Goa!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you got exactly what you needed, a little R & R in Udipar. Glad to hear you booked the comfortable bus for your 16 hour journey - any bus ride that long warrants some comforts. I was looking at photos of Goa - wow that will be a nice place to kick back with your feet in the sand and a beer in your hand. Have fun Kyle !!

    ReplyDelete