Friday, November 12, 2010

Escape From Pushkar

I finally escaped from the city that had become my new hell. After a surprisingly good bus ride, I arrived in the beautiful city of Udaipur. It really is the most picturesque city I've been to so far, it's deserving of it's title: The Venice of the East. It's set on the shore of a lake, surrounded by low mountains, and has notably less hazy pollution than most other cities.

Yesterday was a total relax day, but today I ventured out and did some sightseeing. The Udaipur City Palace took up a good portion of my afternoon. Some of it is typical Indian palace scenery, which starts to all look the same after you've been to enough, but the views are amazing, as is the stained glass windows carved out in the shapes of trees. Unfortunately this place is popular enough to attract a large crowd of Indian tourists, which can be one of the worst parts of India. All of the people basically trying to butt in front, push or dry hump you in the lines starts to wear on a person's nerves, and it's hard to leave there not feeling like you want to clock somebody in the mouth. Still worth the experience though, and I have some really great pictures to upload when I get wifi access again.



The other part of my afternoon was spent walking to a sunset point south of the city, which had great views of the lake. I ended up walking another couple km's past that, meeting up and having a drink with a cool old French guy. Then the rest of the day was greatly spent on top of a rooftop restaurant eating pizza and enjoying the great view of the lakefront. This place seems like a great opportunity to balance out and drive the Pushkar from my mind.

3 comments:

  1. Glad your luck has changed and your're enjoy yourself again. Can't wait to see the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how powerful a change of scenery can be!!! Enjoy your stay in Udaipur :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to add this on previous post, you can always count on a French person to cheer you up (lol)

    ReplyDelete