Monday, January 10, 2011

I Heart Scuba Diving

You are reading the blog of a man that is now certified as an Open Water Diver. My scuba diving course was awesome to say the least, I can't wait to go diving again. Over four days we learned the basic theory behind pressure effects and diving skills, and the second day was spent in the pool going over basic skills like removing and replacing your mask underwater, then clearing the water from it, doing buddy breather, stuff like that. The second and third days were the fun stuff, actually going out to dive sites to do some open water dives. The first one was shit for me, I had major problems trying to equalize my left ear so I didn't really get to enjoy it. The other three were great though, my ears finally started to equalize properly and I could actually spend some time looking around at the multitude of fish around us, including Sting Rays, Angelfish, Moray Eels, and Clownfish.

I wish I would have had more time to spend on Koh Tao, especially to carry on and do my Advanced Open Water course, but unfortunately my visa stamp is about to run out in four days so I have to get my butt out of Thailand. I'll have to do my Advanced course in Indonesia, since there's really nowhere else on my future list that's any good for diving. It's looking like Cambodia will be the best bet for my next destination, I'll go spend a week roaming around there before heading back to Thailand for two weeks in the north. I'm in Hua Hin right now, where I'll meet up with a guy I used to work with back in my Revelstoke days. It's more laid back here, which is good for me, I could really use a break from all the clubs. I've never been a big club person myself, I've always liked a more laid back atmosphere, and after a month of them, I'm done for a little while.

1 comment: