Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Bye Bye Beach

Yesterday was my last day with the beach, we decided it was best to part ways for a while. This guy needs a change of scenery, so now it's the big city for a bit and then to the wild wilds of Cambodia, where I'll spend a week or so visiting the Khmer Temples of Angkor Wat, chill out in Phnom Pehn and fire some machine guns at the notorious shooting range there.

Hua Hin was a definite Farang-ville. It's very obvious with the amount of old guys with young, Thai girlfriends, the sheer amount of real estate agencies and the staggering amount of seniors on the beach (when I'm trying to find a girl to talk to) that this place is a retirement hotspot of Thailand. Unfortunately I was unable to meet up with the guy I used to work with, but I filled my day with a couple first experiences in Thailand. The first one was a Thai massage, which I mistakenly thought would be very relaxing. The first part is, until she sat me upright and drilled her knees and elbows into my shoulder girdle. I'm still a little sore from it today, but oddly enough my muscles feel good.

The second first was a Muay Thai fight. Good fun had by all. Out of five fights two of them were kids around thirteen years old. It was pretty funny watching that knowing that in Canada it would totally be against the law. The atmosphere there is great though, older Thais (probably trainers and family) crowd the base of the ring, shouting and hollering the whole time, and letting out ecstatic cheers every time a good kick lands home. I was really stoked to see the world's greatest Muay Thai matches at Lumpinee Stadium in Bangkok, but unfortunately I leave the day of the match so it will have to wait until I get back from Cambodia.

No comments:

Post a Comment