Saturday, March 22, 2014

R&R: Santiago

Needless to say this has been a bit of a hard trip. The combinations of sickness I've had have made things a little difficult, but I'm still persevering. But I still needed a little R&R time to reset the body. So that's what I've been doing in Santiago for the past couple days. The sister hostel of the hostel I'm staying in happens to have a pool, so yesterday I chilled out there and soaked up the sun and attempt to even out the farmers tan I developed in the Salar and Atacama. 


Today was my first attempt at doing anything, and I failed miserably. Not by my own fault, but due to the fact that the free walking tour I was going to take was cancelled due to a protest that was crisscrossing the tour route, and had reports of stones being thrown. After they informed us of this, I walked back to the hostel, actually running against the flow of thousands of protesters marching up the street. It seemed pretty chilled out to me though, there wasn't really a lot of organized demonstrating going on. I ended up walking through the fish market and down the promenade that runs along the main shopping centre, so it wasn't a total loss. Tomorrow I'll attempt the tour again, hopefully protest free.

And I'm only two days away from Easter Island, my pinnacle destination for this trip. Needless to say I'm getting excited. I loved the Melanesian and Polynesian islands I've visited so far, so if this one is anything like the others, I should love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment