Thursday, March 6, 2014

Flashback

Today I was getting some things together for my trip, and I came across the sunscreen that has an odd nostalgia for me. There are certain smells and noises that can bring back memories, flash backs to the past. The smell of Nivea sunscreen always brings me back specifically to my second day in Kathmandu, sitting on the roof of my guest house eating banana pancakes and drinking chai tea, staring out at the Nepalese Himalaya, still cloud covered by the lingering monsoon, then later on wandering the noisy, dusty alleys in my white American Eagle shirt that I loved but sadly, but memoringly, was destroyed back glow in the dark paint at the Full Moon party in Thailand.

It's times like these that I can reflect on some memories of my travels: sitting in the sand, snapping photos of a dancing tribe at some obscure village in the middle of a sparsely populated island in New Guinea. Trying my hardest to put one foot in front of the other while hiking up Kala Pattar in Nepal. Sitting in a sweaty bus, trapped by cargo on the way to a rarely used border crossing into Vietnam. Listening to my IPod on a beautiful beach in Hawaii. Spending one of my twelve days in Goa watching a cow trample through the middle of a yoga class on the beach. Trying my first rock climbing lesson on the limestone karsts around Ton Sai, Thailand.

My life has been awesome so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment