Monday, March 17, 2014

Medico, Por Favor

I still have the shits. Finally fed up with it, I went to the doctor today. It was a bit of a chore to navigate the language barrier and find a doctor that spoke English, but I managed to do so. He couldn't prescribe me an antibiotic because apparently if you have diarrhea, and a fever as well, it's not the common virus, but rather a bacteria that they need to be certain of the type before prescribing. So I needed a test, he said. Unfortunately this small town only has a limited care center so I have to wait until I go to Valparaiso until I can have the test done. Being that it will take me all day to get there tomorrow, I'll have to wait until Wednesday. They did give me an IV with some solution to rehydrate me, however, and I feel better already.


On the plus side, I haven't allowed this sickness to slow me down much. Yesterday I took a tour to the Valley de Muerte (Death Valley) to do some sand boarding, which was awesome! It's much more difficult than snowboarding; the sand causes more friction which makes it difficult to gain speed and thus harder to turn. And every time you make a run down you must make the 150m trek back up the dune under the blazing sun. Myself, and English guy from my hostel, and a Norweigan girl were the best three on the hill, save for the instructor.


After we finished there we headed to Valley de Luna (Moon Valley), where we climbed up to a ridge and watched the sun set over the amazing scenery around us. This part of my trip has been so full of amazing scenery, I'm really excited to see what the next two weeks bring. Tomorrow is a combination of buses and flights that should see me in Valparaiso around 8pm.

1 comment: