Friday, September 30, 2011

Follow Thy Gut

I’ve been here a couple days in Melbourne, and I can definitely say it’s been different than Sydney. First off, Melbourne itself seems much different. It’s more calm here, there’s less hustle and bustle than there is in Sydney, you feel the rush around mentality much less here. Melbourne is a beautiful city, a nice mix of modern and colonial architecture. The downtown core nicely straddles the Yarra River, making for a nice stroll. And I must say the weather is definitely different. Sydney seems to stay pretty constant for the whole day, while Melbourne will fluctuate in temperature and conditions throughout the day. Take today for instance. It started out a nice, warm, sunny day that invited me out for a walk, only to finish two hours later in a cold breeze with threatening rain clouds overhead. And it’s been raining for the past three hours. The rain has been keeping me inside most of my time here, but I have managed to get out and do some walking around. I’m pretty familiar with the riverside area and some of the downtown core, and today I discovered a nice open market about five minutes from my hostel, with a great selection of deli’s, fish, coffee and vegetables.



And on to my hostel. This has been the biggest contrast of all. Coming from a fifty bed, low key hostel to the gong showed monstrosity that I’m in now has been quite the shock to the balls, so to speak. It really puts in perspective how great life in the Blue Parrot Hostel was. I was able to chill out on the back patio every day and socialize with the group that because of the size of the hostel, becomes quite tight knit. This place I’m in now is nothing short of insane, there’s so many people here, it’s almost overwhelming. I’ve been cooking in the afternoon and storing leftovers for the night simply because I don’t want to venture into the insanity den of a kitchen, packed with more people than it was designed for. I think from now on I’ll try to stick to the more low key, smaller hostels. Though for the next couple weeks I won’t have to worry about that; I’ll be splitting a room with my Dad when he gets in on Monday.

On the job front, things aren’t progressing, yet they are. I wasn’t able to land any work in Melbourne this week, BUT I did get a call today from TasRail for a second interview next week. And lone behold, they wanted to fly me to Melbourne for it! It looks as if following my gut instinct has proven correct after all.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck on your interview Kyle, thats awesome news. Melbourne does look beautiful, I have to go through your new pictures you posted, they look great. Have a great time with your dad!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's the thirty day challenge going? I'm sure it will be going out the window once Dad shows up.
    Good day Mate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still haven't consumed a drop. And with two thirds of the challenge complete by the time my Dad arrives, I'm across the point of no return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent about ten mins on the phone today with a nice lady from TasRail..
    short of the story is I hope you like living off of Ramen and water !

    seriously though, it sounds like they are in love with you.
    Hope You get the job Bro!

    ReplyDelete