Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Live Life

Yesterday's bus ride was a little disturbing. About an hour and a half outside of Cappadoccia we passed a traffic accident on the other side of the highway. There was a bunch of paramedics working on some people inside the car, which was pretty badly smashed up. About twenty feet in front of the car another paramedic was putting a sheet over what had to be a child. That messed me up; death is a part of life but when you're witness to it, especially the death of someone so young and innocent, it hits home hard. I felt it was quite a sign to see that while I'm traveling, like it was an indication to keep living life to the fullest, because it doesn't last a long time for every person.

And now for the positive stuff. Cappadoccia is crazy, it looks like something out of a fantasy book, like Lord of the Rings. Thousands of homes have been cut into the limestone rock valleys in this area, some at really weird elevations in the rock, seemingly inaccessible. Valleys and canyons snake their way through the landscape, making surreal views like the one below. 


Today I walked, and walked, and walked. I must have covered around twenty five kilometers through the valleys around Goreme, the place I'm staying. I'm going to attempt to climb a mountain outside of town tomorrow to get an incredible view of the landscape, but that's entirely dependent on how my legs feel tomorrow, because they're a little tired right now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment