Sunday, June 16, 2013

Castles and Castles

For being less than a kilometer away, the Kizkalesi Castle was a lot more difficult to get to than I thought it would be. The first guys I talked to told me I would have to rent one of those stupid two seater paddle boats for an hour, 20 lira. Since there was no way in hell I was rowing around in a dolphin shaped paddle boat by myself, I looked for other options, and ended up finding a taxi boat at the other end of the beach. The castle was pretty cool, you could wander along the walls at will, but the Turks have erected big lamps along the inside and outside of the walls to light it up in different colours at night. Very corny.

The best ruins lay at the east end of the beach. An old castle that served as the fortress for a Roman city, it's hardly been restored and is quite overgrown, which made it really cool. I wandered along the old walls along the edge of an ocean fed moat, and through the ruins of the interior city. I can imagine the castle itself must have been massive during its time, probably housing over a thousand people. Sadly I didn't bring my iPod with me so I have no pictures to share right now.

Tomorrow I leave here early for Cappadoccia, which I've heard is incredible. I'll stay there four days before catching a long train journey to the very east of the country, the last new destination on this trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment