Sunday, May 26, 2013

Touchdown Europe

Here I am, finally at my friends place in London. After a quick flight to Calgary I grabbed my bag and went through security, opting for a pat down over that stupid scanner, denying the security apparatus a picture of my junk. 

The Air Transat flight went a lot better than I thought it would. Being a budget airline, I expected cramped legroom and a shitty airplane, but it was actually really nice. In every seat back there was at touch screen tv with a a decent movie and tv show selection. 

The time running up to a trip is always exciting. You're planning, looking at pictures of the places you're going to visit, researching the things you're going to do. But nothing is better than landing at your destination, that's when the real smile arrives.



A friend I know from my Vancouver days lives in London now, and had offered me a place to stay. I had looked up her address and printed out a map from the station to her house, fairly straightforward.

I had a nice train ride in, the sun was shining, which is weird for London. I got on the tube and got off at the Highbury Islington stations, where I would take the overground to Hackney Wick station, close to Caroline's place. Except the overground wasn't running today. The travel Gods have just decided to test Kyle's skills.

I head out of the station to figure out how to take the bus there, but of course since everyone takes the train, nobody else knows how to take the bus either. I finally figured it out and got on the 30. 

It didn't take me directly to the Hackney Wick station so another search ensued. After asking the third person for directions, I finally found my bearing and Caroline's place. And now we're chilling out, watching Arrested Development. After that flight and the time change I'm feeling groggy. I think a few hours of sleep this afternoon will be in order, then a night involving beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment