Monday, May 27, 2013

London, Day 2

It appears I arrived in London at exactly the right time. The weather the past two days have been the best and only warm, sunny days of the year. Yesterday I slept for a few hours in the afternoon and then headed out to Southbank with Caroline. We met up with a friend of hers, Anna, and headed up to a 5th floor patio bar that had an incredible view of the Thames river. After a beer there we upriver to another patio bar, this one was basically a giant lawn that everyone sat on, and you drink beer. Perfect!

We met a friend of mine. Alex, that I knew from my travels in Thailand. After some Mexican food and a couple drinks, we ended the night with a coupe drinks at a jazz bar. 

And today I slept until 12:45, about 11 hours. I am officially over my jet lag! We met up with Anna, and another friend, Ben, and walked around the Camden Market. It was really cool, the market snakes through a web of brick alleys and archways. Some of it was tacky tourist shops, but there was also a lot of nice antique and thrift stores. 

And again we ended up at a patio bar, this one above a canal loch. During our time there a few boats used the loch, which had about a six foot height difference between the upper and lower portion. Seeing the lochs in use was like a window to history, I was seeing a canal in use that has been around for hundreds of years. I think I'm going to like Europe.

Afterwards we went and met some more of Caroline's friends, drinking a few beers and scarfing down a pizza. That's what Canada needs more of, relaxed public drinking laws, rooftop patios, and pubs like this:


Tomorrow my luck with the weather is supposed to end, with a 90% chance of rain. So something indoors will be in order, possibly the Tower of London or Tower Bridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment