Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Rainy Week Blues

Goddamn rain. It's been raining in Vietnam for the past seven days! Although I can't really complain too much, I'm not on Koh Samui up to my chest in floodwater. I heard from quite a few people that the weather in North Vietnam was a lot cooler than the south, but I never expected it to be this cool. In Hoi An it wasn't bad, probably around eighteen degrees C, but here in Hue, it's maybe around seven or eight degrees. Thankfully while digging around in my bag the other day I stumbled upon my toque that I thought I had shipped home. I haven't had to break that thing out since I was on top of Gokyo Ri, at fifty three hundred meters!

It's hard not to say that the rain has been putting a damp on things. It really sucks when I'm out sightseeing and not able to use my SLR, when I know I would be able to get some really good pictures. Instead I'm forced to use my shit-ass waterproof point and shoot. While I'm on that topic, Olympus gets a thumbs down for making the Tough 8010, it's an abortion.

Yesterday Nick, Ben and I strolled around the Purple Palace, former home of the Nguyen Emperors. It was a pretty cool sight, the moats and walls around the Citadel are pretty impressive. The coolest things about all of these palaces around here are the interiors. They're always made out of dark, polished wood, with vaulted ceilings, with the joists exposed. It's gives the rooms a dark, cultured library type look. Today we did a day tour to the Emperor's Tombs, which included a boat ride up the Perfume River to a Buddhist pagoda. Too bad I was hung over and tired...

Tomorrow, to Hanoi!

No comments:

Post a Comment