Monday, February 7, 2011

Journey to the Centre of the Earth

Yesterday was a mixed bag for me, starting out with a rude awakening at 5am to puke my guts out, thanks to the sketchy donair I ate the night before. With my stomach doing hula-hoops around my body the whole day, some friends and I rode out on the scooters to some caves about an hour and a half away from Pai. The ride was awesome, the scenery just seemed to get better and better the further from Pai we were, starting out with hills and a great viewpoint, then to jagged limestone mountains, and ending with a beautiful ride through a dense forest.

The Lod caves were amazing, the biggest caves I've ever been in in my life. There were amazing stalagmite and stalagtite formations, and massive cathedral like crystal formations, all made more beautiful by the soft kerosene lantern our guide was leading us with. Some of the caves even had an ancient burial area inside, with old wooden coffins scattered around the tomb. The tour included a ride up through the caves on a bamboo raft, with a ton of huge fish following us, begging for food. All in all, a great day, one that will go down in the books as one of the coolest natural things I've seen in Thailand so far.



This is nearly the end of my Thailand adventure; I'm going to spend today tubing down the river in town with some friends, then catch my bus at 8pm to the border, where I'll cross into Laos tomorrow morning to start a new adventure. Stay tuned for more.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that looks like it must have been awesome to see, how cool!!

    ReplyDelete