Sunday, February 13, 2011

Experience of the Gibbon Experience

That was the closest to becoming Tarzan I've ever been. Zipling through the jungle at 60 km/h was nothing short of great! I was worried that my fear of heights might become a problem during this two day zip fest, but it wasn't at all. The first set of cables we used were'nt a problem at all since the platforms were on level spots on the hillsides. By the time we got to the real precarious ones, ie the small step off the edge of our one hundred and fifty meter tree house, I wasn't too nervous about it. I even managed to jump into the line on the third day. It was a great way to see the jungle, cruising upwards of one hundred and fifty meters above it.

The trekking was pretty good too, we pounded out some steep hills and got the blood flowing into these almost mummified legs of mine. One of my favourite things of the whole three days was just being in the actual, full on jungle; hiking through palm fronds and bamboo thickets. And there were surprisingly little misquitos!

The tree houses themselves were pretty cool, our second one was about one hundred and fifty meters off the ground, only accessible by zip lining into it. The one highlight of it for me was showering that high off the ground with a amazing birds eye view of the whole forest valley. I'll never set foot in that cool of a shower again, I'm sure of it. Every night they zip lined dinner in for us, with tea and coffee as well. I was with a great group of people, and we kept ourselves busy at night with charade games.

Unfortunately we didn't get to see any of the famed Gibbons. We did hear a few at night and in the morning, but they never made an appearance for us. I'm still not that disappointed, the rest of the Experience was amazing! And tomorrow I head out on the slow boat to Luang Prabang to start exploring the south of Laos.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a truly amazing experience. Glad it went well and you're back at ground level. Have a great slow boat ride along the Mekong River. Can't wait to hear how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to see your pictures! I hope you took a picture of the view from your shower cause that is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete