Sunday, February 6, 2011

Another Great Day of Scootin'

Scooters are the best thing for the Thai countryside, as far as the Farang is concerned. I rented one today until the 8th, and it cost me about $6.75. A Canadian friend and I hit up the countryside today to go check out some waterfalls. It was a great day, even though we didn't see any waterfalls. The one listed on the road sign seemed to disappear on us or isn't properly marked in the back roads. Instead we cruised to a Thai village where we swam around in the river (and when I say swam it was more like a thigh-deep floating, trying to keep sand out of our shorts) and ate some delicious Pad Thai, straight from rural Thailand. All in all the drive was great, an awesome way to spend a hung over day in the Thai countryside, getting in the real thick of the forest and soaking in some awesome scenery. And I can't forget to mention the gem of a restaurant we discovered here in Pai. It's called the Witching Well, and so far I can vouch for the apple pancake, the carrot cake and the C2 shake.

The bummer part of the day was booking my bus ticket to the Lao border, when I realized that I'll have to leave a night early on an 8pm bus on the 8th, getting to the border town at 2am. That is going to suck.

1 comment: