Thursday, October 21, 2010

Taj'd

So I made a pilgrimage to one of the greatest sights of the world: The Taj Mahal. It was pretty amazing, the white marble architecture is very impressive and well crafted. I don't want to be a downer but I have to be honest and say it really didn't leave me awe struck. I can't explain why, I guess maybe all the hype it gets for being one of the unofficial wonders of the world set it high on a pedestal for me, higher than it deserved.



Unfortunately the day was really hazy (I'm not sure if it's the normal Indian pollution or a forest fire) so my pictures didn't turn out too well, especially the shots of the Taj from Agra Fort. Speaking of the Fort, that was impressive. It's huge. I spent 2 1/2 hours walking around the half of the fort tourists are allowed into. I thought the coolest part of it was the ruined section, where there were absolutely no tourists walking around, leaving me to my devices. It felt the most like exploration than any other parts of the fort. Doing this as a day trip from Delhi turned out to be a good way of doing it. I caught a 6:15 train on an AC Chair Car, got to Agra at 8:30, saw the Taj and Agra Fort and still had four hours to kill, which I used to kill two Kingfisher beers and some food. Then an 8:30 train back to Delhi, done and done.

1 comment:

  1. Well your trek would certainly be a hard act to follow from here on in. You captured a great picture for the rest of us to enjoy so thanks for that. Can you post a picture of the trains for us.

    ReplyDelete