Saturday, October 30, 2010

The First Dumbass Move

So I did it. I pulled my first (and hopefully last) dumbass move of the trip. Right before I was going to leave Amritsar I plugged my IPod in to charge it so I could listen to music on the train. I went for lunch and was delayed, which caused me to be running a little short of time to catch my train. In my haste, I grabbed my bags and not my IPod. Good for the traveler who will find it and relish the huge amounts of music and movies I spent so much time loading it up with. Not so good for me for being such a stupid ass. That's the shitty thing about losing things without them being stolen, you only have yourself to blame. Now I can shame myself everytime I turn on my newly purchased, $300 Sony Walkman. Now I'm really happy that my holiday pay from CP Rail was more than I thought.

At least the train to Jaipur was a decent one, one that didn't necessitate noise canceling headphones, like the ones I left in Amritsar. I shared a sleeper cabin on a nearly empty train with a really nice Indian family, killed off a book and slept soundly in the cool desert air. And cool it gets, I was really surprised when I woke up in the middle of the night and had to bury myself as far into my sleeping bag liner as I could. Jaipur is nothing to brag about, it's a big, dirty, semi-desert city that has a bad case of urban sprawl. It's expensive, and not righteously so. The sights I saw today were mediocre, and I spent a decent amount to see them. I'm happy to be leaving on a train tonight.

On the more positive note, I'm heading to Jaisalmir tonight on a sleeper train to spend a few days kicking back in the desert, and doing a Camel Safari. I'm sure I'll be there for Diwali, the biggest festival in India, since the trains and buses are booked solid around the holidays.

1 comment:

  1. It's true, thanks Dad. I'm just beating myself up for it.

    ReplyDelete