Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Week 1.5

I'm sitting here typing this post with eyes as red as strawberries from the foam party I went to last night. Moans of agony can be heard from nearly everyone in the hostel, and eye drops are in short supply and high demand. It was a great time, a whirlwind of music and bubbles. You basically go like this: stand in the middle of the dance floor and dance your ass off while mounds of foam get doused on you from the canon above, then wander off the dance floor half blind as the foam starts seeping into your eyes. The turned into my favorite part of the night. As I reached the bar area, looking like the abominable soapman, I would try my best to rub against all the uptight losers who were trying to stay out of the foam...at a foam party.

After hearing this I'm sure you're thinking I'm not doing a very good job of staying out of the party scene. And you would be half right. It is difficult when you don't have a job and everyone is going out every night. I've booked a room in the hostel until next Thursday, and after that it's go time. If I don't have a job by then, it will be time to make a move to another place or accommodation. Yesterday things started to come together: I got my White Card and my Tax File Number, and had a job interview. It turned out to be for a labour agency instead of a real job, but I guess it's something. We'll see if it bears any fruit.

I've been wrestling with wear to head next, and the two choices are Newcastle or Melbourne. Newcastle is a smaller city on the edge of a mining region (which could mean lots of work), but everyone says go to Melbourne. Apparently it's been voted one of the most liveable cities in the world. I'll figure it out next week.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say Melbourne is a great city with the trams and a great downtown core. I worked/lived there for 3 months. Hey last I heard Hank still rents out rooms at 73 Chapman Street,so if you're looking for a place to stay it maybe a good place to check out. There was a hostel right along that same street as well. Oh and your only an overnight ferry ride to Tasmania - now that is a fantastic place to visit!!

    ReplyDelete