Saturday, May 7, 2011

Hong Kong

Well, I'm finally here, in one of the most important cities in Asia. Getting across the border from China was easy enough. Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Zone of China, meaning that it has certain distinctions and privileges from the mainland, like it's own currency, better standard of living, and Facebook. That's right, Facebook is going in the list. Two months of having to use that shitty TomatoPeople site (I still love you) made life just a little more dull. Yesterday I got majorly up to speed on picture posting.

I hadn't really thought of what the night life in Hong Kong would be like, I guess I just figured it would be like the rest of China. Burying my head in the sand about that fact really hit me when I went out last night with some people from my hostel, and surprisingly Hong Kong night life strikes a similar resemblance to Vancouver in terms of demographic. Not with prices though. I never thought going out here would be this expensive. Granted, we were in the more upscale club areas where all the financial people go, but I was not expecting to pay double what I would pay at home for a drink. Being in Asia for the past nine months has turned me into a tight ass a little, spending nine dollars on a beer seems like an insult. I didn't dig the first night of HK night life, it featured the aspects I despise: pretentious people who think about money too much, and gold digging bitches going after rich old men. Blah. I've come to enjoy and become used to bars in Asia, which are full of travelers just having a good time and thinking of nothing else.

But that isn't going to ruin Hong Kong for me. I think I'll try and find some good pubs in my next six nights here, something a little more laid back and suited to my style. Hong Kong has had some serious bonuses in it for me, too. Today I had a great meal of sushi, and that's not even the highlight of the day. I wandered into a grocery store this afternoon to see what I could find and I stumbled across Cheerios, strawberries and milk, my common and much enjoyed breakfast back home. I was so excited I shit myself THEN I COULD NOT FIND IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment