Monday, August 2, 2010

So Here's the Plan

For a while I'd been thinking of making a career change from the railway, which was slowly bleeding me dry with the horrible shift work schedule it entails. After downloading a couple seasons of a travel show I like, I had an epiphany: to just say fuck it to everything and take off traveling for a while. I did the math, worked my ass off for six months trying to save up as much money as I could, and here I am, 33 days away from making my goal reality.



So here's the plan: (see above photo for a rough route (Thanks to the Cartographic Research Lab of the University of Alabama, I stole your picture)) I plan to start in Nepal, work my way through India, then fly over to Thailand, possibly to Malaysia, then start a journey through the common backpacking route of Southeast Asia: Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam. After that, a short journey through Southern China and to Hong Kong, then fly over to Indonesia. After that, the hardcore destination: Papua New Guinea. What happens after that is a big question mark, I'm going to see what my bank account looks like. Maybe New Zealand, maybe Australia, maybe go to work with the TESOL degree I earned back in May.

I'll have this blog up so you can live your life vicariously through me and possibly throw some tips or advice my way. Or if you just feel like having a laugh, I'm sure I'll be sparking a few of those as well. As you can see on the left, I'll have my Flickr photostream active and hopefully regularly updated with photos from my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment