Friday, January 3, 2014

New Year, New Travels

Happy New Year!

I'm a day late, but fuck it, it's still the new year. I'm just over two months away from my upcoming trip to Bolivia and Chile, and as I was doing some research on the Bolivian Salt Flats of Uyuni, I figured I should write up a post.

I'm only taking three weeks for this trip (my shortest backpacking trip to date), as I want to do another one later in the year. Already this short amount of time is making it feel a little rushed. To compensate I've decided to spend a little extra money and take a couple internal flights within Bolivia and Chile so I'm not spending precious time on long distance buses, which I've heard are supposed to be a nightmare in Bolivia.

As it stands right now, the plan is to fly into La Paz, spend a day or two there, catch a flight to Uyuni and immediately jump on a tour of the Uyuni Salt Flats, which ends with a connection to San Pedro Atacama, the hub for tourism in the Atacama Desert in Chile. I'll stomp around there for a few days, exploring the driest desert on Earth, then hop south and hopefully end up in Valaparaiso, a beautiful town on the coast not far from Santiago. On the 24th I have a flight booked to what should be the highlight of my trip, Easter Island. I've had it in my mind to visit this remote island for a long time, and since Chile is one of the two only places in can be reached from, I have to spend the extra money and set foot there. I have four days there, fly back to Santiago and spend a couple more there, then take my awful flight home, which is over 24 hours long. While Canada is a beautiful country and I love living there, it's probably one of the worst places to live if you want to get anywhere else in the world for a reasonable cost or time frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment