Friday, February 3, 2012

Changing of the Guard

Over the past two weeks five of my room mates have left and been replaced. The apartment now consists of two Brazilian girls, two Brazilian men, one Nigerian guy (who I share the room with), a Polish guy, and Moi. The Brazilians so far seem pretty reserved, spending most of their time in their rooms. I'm hoping this is a phase that ends soon, for it's creating a much less social and therefore less fun environment.

Work is still chugging along. Last week had a civic holiday so I had a day off without pay, but managed to make up for most of it this week with four hours of overtime. I've been filling my head listening to audio books, a privilege my no-brainer job affords me. I've been hitting the gym hard (not really much else to do since it's been raining so damn much), and am up to 160 lbs after a month. The goal is getting closer!

I've been in back and forth contact with TasRail for the past week, discussing the Engineer position further. They obviously recognize my skills, because they seem to want me in their locomotives no matter the cost. They offered to keep pursuing the visa, which I agreed to as long as they understood I might not take it if the visa is approved. Being fine with this, further light was shed on just how long the process is really going to take (delay is no surprise to me anymore): October. They are hoping the position will be added to the skills shortage list in July, a requirement of getting me a visa, then the visa application will be lodged and should take three months to be approved. This further delay might actually work in my benefit, as the job still holds a lucrative salary and might be worth my while to take after a break back in N. America. And the fact that they would pay for the flight to Australia helps too. Alas, I am not holding my breath though, maybe in July it will turn out to be December.

1 comment:

  1. You need to write out "house rules" and post them up. Could be good for a laugh anyway.

    ReplyDelete