Thursday, December 29, 2011

Departure of the Fam

The last few days we had been working our way back towards Sydney, making an overnight stop at Port Macquarie to break up the journey. Fortunately the looming threat of storms due to the cyclones in the north held off until the evening, allowing us to go to a Koala Bear Hospital on the edge of town. Danelle finally got to see her Koala's, and plenty of them. We spent about an hour and a half waking around the outdoor pens that held various Koala's with various injuries, some being rehabilitated and prepared to return to the wild, and some being too severely injured to ever leave the hospital.

We returned to Sydney to make a frustrating navigation of the city, to a hotel we had found near the airport. I must once again reiterate how F'd up Sydney's roads are. If you haven't drove on them before, don't. We arrived at the hotel to realize there was really nothing around, so after a couple hours of lazing in the room we caught the train to Darling Harbour to have a few drinks and some dinner. Thankfully for Danelle we didn't encounter any more large insects of arachnids during her last two days in Australia.

And that brings us to yesterday. We checked out of the hotel and said our goodbyes, the end of a great visit and great trip around Australia. It was great to see Mom and Danelle again, and it being the Christmas season made the visit so much better. Being away from family for one Christmas is enough for this guy, I don't think I would have done two in a row. Family is too important to not spend the holiday season with. I am sad that their gone and will miss them dearly, especially since the prospect of another year without seeing them lies ahead, but the powers of Skype and email will keep us close. Love you guys!

Last night was my first night in my new pad. I won't go into much detail, instead I'll do up a post about it in the New Year, complete with pictures. I'll just say that so far my roomates seem cool, and it should turn out to be a good place to live.

1 comment:

  1. I was so happy to have spent the holiday season with you and to have gotten to see parts of Australia that we will remember forever. It was very hard to say goodbye, but I will keep the hope that you will find a good reason to be back home here within a reasonable amount of time, you are missed by many. Can't wait to go through all my photo's and have new pictures to display in our house. Love and miss you already!!

    ReplyDelete