Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Right Detour

I was a little bummed out when I realized I couldn't get a flight from Indonesia to PNG to get a visa on arrival, thus having to cut out Indonesia and opt for the Philippines instead. I am no longer regretting that whatsoever, instead I'm congratulating myself for it. The Philippines is nothing short of great. It's almost so good that I want to tell people it sucks so they won't come here and turn it into a Thailand.

We arrived in Coron after a short flight from Manila on Monday. We met up with another Argentinian couple (Lew and Gaston) and had a few beers and some food, then climbed up to a mountain top overlooking Coron City. There we enjoyed the amazing sunset. Coron itself is a pretty quaint island. There isn't much development here, which gives it it's charm. Later that night we played pool with some Philippino shack while the rain came down.

The next day was kind of a bust due to the heavy rain that poured in, but we did manage to head out to some amazing hot springs just outside of town. Probably the best I've ever been to, with large tiered hot pools on the edge of the ocean. The best highlight so far was today. We hired a boat and the six of us took off to five locations around the bay, which included a couple hidden lakes, a couple amazing snorkeling sites (one was a WWII shipwreck), and a lagoon. I sunburned the shit out of my back AGAIN! Nothing I do can stop the Philippine sun from scorching me. The snorkeling here was amazing, the best I've done so far. The water is crystal clear and warm as bath water, filled with tons of different coral and fish. And the lakes have large fresh water shrimp that get in yo face.

Tomorrow, Palawan on an eight hour boat journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment